Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
dlf0122quilting

Okay, you made me get my box of tissues. I do remember the fresh baked rolls, the Sears Catalog coming to the house, Metal rollerskates, double runner ice skates, skating on the creeks in the winter, all the good stuff. I am so thankful to you for sharing your life with all of us. When my mother passed away I inherited a quilt she had started in 1952 in anticipation of my brothers birth and it has the 48 (not 50) state flowers embroidered into it and was never completed so I got to work on it and I treasure it. I even put it in the home town bi-centennial celebration so others could remember her. I think it is the only quilt she ever tried to make. It was still kinda in pieces when I got it but she had traced a beautiful pattern on one of the plain squares that I presume she had planned to hand quilt when it was in its final stages. I duplicated that pattern and pieced it, then hand quilted that beautiful pattern into it. That quilt means so much to me and I feel that she and I had a special connection while I worked on it even though she was in heaven at the time it was done. I also inherited a quilt top that was made by my grandmother in the 20's and I am trying to get it hand quilted also. It has silk flowers on it and they are rather tattered and torn. I asked a quilt appraiser to advise me on it and she said, "honey, just finish it the way it is and treasure the memories you have of her" so that is what I am doing. My sister wanted to throw them both out and she is an artist (she makes life sized features of people for sale), but I gathered them up from her and said I would take care of them. I am so glad that I was given the gift of being a quilter. I am teaching a couple of my grandchildren to quilt also and it gives me such pleasure. Thanks again for the memories.