Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
tjradj

I don't have a worst advice, but I do have a most eye-opening event. A year ago I was at an all day quilt retreat with my guild, in a "posh" hotel. Early in the evening, a dad with his little girl arrived at our door asking if anyone could help with his little girl's dress which was coming apart and he was out of pins. She was the flower girl in a wedding party.
NO ONE offered to help.There was dead silence as no one even addressed the group and said "OK, who can help here?" Here was an entire room full of "experienced" quilters who held office in the guild and had "impressive" quilt resumes. I was one of the newest members and sitting in the back corner. I was so embarrassed as the ladies of the guild were "too important" to do a measly repair job.
I called her over and it was just that the stitching was coming apart along the top edge where the straps were attached. She stripped it off and waited wrapped in her daddy's suit jacket while it took me less than 5 minutes to fix. Daddy and little girl were amazed and very grateful.
I lost a lot of respect for the "experienced" guild ladies that day.