View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Mrs. Mel

Originally Posted by Harmony
I'm so pleased that I inspired you to try hand quilting! I usually inspire people to go for a long walk or take a hot shower or have a big glass of wine or something!

On my left hand I use a gizmo called the Under Thimble. It sticks to your left middle finger, and because it's kind of dome-shaped it deflects the needle and protects your finger from turning to hamburger. It's not bulky at all, and when the glue wears out (takes a while) you can just put another glue disk on it. There's a link below. I use one of those open thimbles on my right hand.

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/082403.html

I think that consistency in your stitch length is more important than the actual length of your stitches. As you get more and more practice your stitches will get smaller. You might want to practice your hand quilting on a small piece before you go at the big quilt!

I love your quilt. If you want the star to show up well, you might try quilting in black, although white might be better if you're still struggling with stitch length and consistency. Can't wait to see your finished product!
Thanks Harmony. I was admiring your latest red and white creation. Great job on picking out fabrics. Is it yellow brick rd pattern? Take care and thanks again for the inspiration AND the advice! :)