View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
goaf1968

Here comes the Pennsylvania Dutch side of me - born and raised in the center of Amish Country in PA:

One Big Roaster chicken and a two one-pound bags of wide noodles (better yet, make your own - I do) One 2-Lb. bag of frozen sweet corn kernels, salt and pepper and, if you have ever had it this way, about 6 hard boiled eggs.

Boil that roaster, then remove to cool down a bit so you can clean all the meat off it and chop it up. Skim off any gunk that floats to the top of the broth you now have and put the chicken back into the pot. Toss in the bag of corn and salt/pepper to taste - unless he cannot have salt, then skip it. Toss in the egg noodles. OPTION: Cut the boiled eggs (I hope you remembered to peel them -- lol) in quarters and toss them into water, which should by now be at a light boil. Here is where I add one large bay leaf. When noodles are done turn off heat, let sit for a bit to thicken up some as it cools, then serve with some homemade bread -- yes, I make that too. When I make this I get about 4 gallons of soup! Homemade bread -- it only takes some time, but three or four loaves would fit that [fellow military guy's] family just fine. I'm retired Air Force, myself, so please give my regards to him and his family. This is the favorite comfort food for my wife and I.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (where there was no snow - yeah!)