View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM
live2teach

I kept waiting and waiting to see a post about National Sewing Month and I don't believe I ever have. I propose we all do something special this month. How about everyone take time from what they are doing to create something you've either been wanting to make or a new project you just found or something you have yet to find. It can't be something that you make everyday like with me, I can't make a purse since I do that everyday and it can't be something you've made recently. I am going to make something I have never made before, I think we should all do this, but I know that isn't possible b/c of time with all of us. Then, at the end of the month, September 30, we will post pictures of them. What do you all think?

And being National Sewing Month, here are a few tips to help us get more involved in sewing:

(I found these on http://sewing.org/enthusiast/html/e_natsewingmonth.html?

1.Teach a family member or friend to sew.
2.Volunteer your time and teach sewing to a local youth organization like Girl Scouts, 4-H Clubs, and Camp Fire Boys and Girls.
3.Make it possible for someone to learn how to sew. Give employees time off work so they can volunteer their time; or donate fabrics, equipment, and sewing supplies.
4.Consider sponsoring classes at a local store or sewing school.
5.Get together with friends and contact local elementary schools to create an after-school sewing program.
6.Sew more often. If you haven't been sewing lately, find out what's new in the sewing world at a local fabric or sewing machine store.
7.Find out what’s current in sewing on the Internet.
8.Join your local chapter of the American Sewing Guild at www.asg.org and participate in its activities.
9.Register for a class at a local fabric store or sewing machine dealership and take a friend.
10.Contact your local public television station and make a contribution that supports sewing programs.
11.Create your own sewing circle of friends; it’s fun to sew with others!