View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Rettie V. Grama

I have a hint for binding a charity quilt that saves me a lot of time and looks. I really can't do the hand quilting for binding anymore.

Since I like my charity quilts to have good sturdy binding, I found the following method not only easier, but faster than regular binding methods.

1. I start with a 3 inch wide strip the length of 2 sides of the quilt. For a 45 X 60 quilt, you need 2 strips 3 inches wide x 125 inches long (good idea to have a few extra inches).

2. Turn each side of the 125 + a couple of inches strip. While holding the fold, make a long/wide zig zag down the middle where the raw edges meet.

3. Fold the strip with the raw edges inside the fold and press.
When you finish pressing the whole length of the strip you have a 2 inch wide double fold binding strip.

4. Attach it to your quilt like regular binding then Zig Zag the strip in place, making sure the corner is mitered properly.

5. Bind the other side and end, the same way. If you happen to leave too much open binding on the quilt, simply sew in another row of Zig Zag.

In less than an hour, you have made 7 yards of double fold binding and bound your 45 X 60 quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121314.jpe