View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
mpeters1200

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm currently hand quilting a sampler. It's made of bright colors and the backing is a rich green. I'm using ecru quilting thread. I can get it to disappear in the top and I make designs and stuff you can see on the back.

I have for so long, wondered how to save the fingertips on my left hand from being pricked to death. Even now, since Sunday, I've been quilting and my fingertips are so sore! A friend of mine uses medical tape that is so light it looks like tape made of tissue paper. Every time I've tried it, I ended up pushing the needle through harder and just drawing blood as I can't feel when the needle has come through. I will try a bandaid and see if the results are any different. I may also try the Under Thimble.

I have never measured my stitches in an inch or how many I can fit on each needle pass...though I average about 5 or so. Occasionally, I'll just flip my little lap frame over and see how they look in the back. It's more important to have stitches that look the same size than how many you can fit in an inch.