Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 AM
susiequilt

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
ok, I was following along quietly, working with my daughter on this in secret... the jig is up, tho ~ we tried the method of sewing around all four sides and cutting diagonally... so many people say they like this method... now we sewed a row together tonight with sashing, and we're getting wavy-pucker stuffs going on... I have been quilting long enough that I didn't see that comin' and it hit me like WHAM!

I smoothed them out by hand on the ironing board, and I think they'll be ok once we start smoothing onto the batting... but my daughter was trying to do a quilt up for one of her BFFs whose b-day party is this coming Friday. Now I am not sure if there's a better method to doing the HSTs?

I have done some complicated stuff before, I cannot believe pinwheels will be my demise!
Did you try to starch your fabric before you cut? That seems to help with the bias edges.
You could also take two squares right sides together, draw a line down the middle point to point, Sew 1/4" on each side of the line, cut on the line and square up the blocks method. This method doesn't have bias edges. HTH