Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by EnglishYvonne
I just had to share my good luck with people who I know will really appreciate it.

A couple of years ago my mother found a little old sewing machine at a car boot sale (swap meet for those on the other side of the pond), she paid £5 for it, about $7.50. It came in a nice little case with a tray in it and a number of feet and a hem stitch attachment. When she connected it up there was a loud bang and some nasty blue smoke so it went back into the box and into the garage. At christmas we were looking for something in the garge and i recognised the box. When i opened it there was a lovely little featherweight made in 1951, well it came home with me and after a visit to the local repair shop shop she now purrs.

I told my brother just how desirable these little beauties are and yesterday he found her a younger sister (1953) at another car boot sale. He had to pay £6 (about $9). She was absolutely filthy. Looked like she had been in a barn for the last 20 years. The case is a little banged up and the storage tray missing but after a good clean she is now shinning. The decals are near perfect but there are a few spots of missing paintwork on the bottom corners. I've given her a good oiling and she now turns freely by hand, I'm just a little nervous about connecting her to the electric until I can get someone to check her over.

It just goes to show that you can still find gems if you look hard enough
Geeze, I don't think we will find those kind of deals anymore here in the US! What a lucky find for you! Are either one of them the 222 free arm? That would be an unheard of deal!

Nancy