View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
What can be done to clean out the inside of the iron as it builds up the chemicals that are in the water. I have a great old panasonic iron that I use for large pieces after washing them but sometimes it spits out a light rusty colored water for just a second at the beginning of ironing. Can you run a vinegar bath through it like you do in a coffee pot or is there a product to use that will clean out the inside. It is either that or I will have to go get me another cheapy iron.
You can use a vinegar bath. My favorite method will void any warranty, but IMO it works better than vinegar. I use "Iron Out", a powder you can get at hardware stores that is used to clean water softeners. I use a solution of it inside my iron when it needs a good cleaning.

For calcium deposits clogging the steam vent openings, I use some patience and a large glass-headed pin to scrape them off. Some of the bits go inside the iron, but they are usually small enough that they don't clog the openings and, if they come out, they don't stain anything.

Mary