View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Happy Treadler

I sure hope you can follow me on this.

A new friend on the Board here was kind enough to send the cutest wallhanging pattern to me, but I'm having some trouble understanding it. The directions said to cut four 4 1/2" squares out of 4 different fabrics. Then it says to match the four 4 1/2" background squares together with them. This is clear to me. Now is when it gets hairy. "On each set mark a 1 7/8-inch square. (see diagram)". The diagram shows a 1 7/8" square marked on top of the 4 1/2" square (centered in the middle), I'm guessing it's marked, then the regular half-triangle procedure marking the square corner-to-corner & sewing 1/4" from the line on each side, cutting the square in half to make two squares again (each half a different fabric). "After sewing & cutting are complete, press seam allowances toward Fabric A. You will have made a total of eight 1 1/2" triangle sets."

DUMB question, but why do you think it said to cut the original squares at 4 1/2" when you end up with the new triangles being only 1 1/2"?? Am I thinking incorrectly or something?