Thread: T-Shirt Quilts
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 PM
quiltingsavta

Someone had posted a question earlier today (I think) about their grandson going to college and wanting to make a quilt for him. I recomended that she made a quilt out of his favorite t-shirts. Here are 3 that I made out of T-shirts/sweatshirts and a hood from a sweatshirt. My husband's best friend from 6th grade past away a few years ago from cancer. The family was a very outdorsey type of family and very much into sports especially football. He was a stay-at-home dad and raised both boys since infants and was their coach on most of their football teams. When he passed away I asked his wife if I could get a bunch of his T-shirts that meant something to each of the boys and to her. The boys picked out mostly sports related shirts while his wife picked out her favorite ones from all the national parks they had gone to along with some other sentimental ones. He was also one to wear alot of bandanas, so I incorporated those in the one for his wife as sashing. I went to work and made these. I took a hood from a sweatshirt that I used in the quilts and sewed it on the long edge so when they brought these to games, they could wrap themselves up in them and keep warm. When I cut out the squares from the T-shirts, I cut them out along with the back for stability, sewed around them to keep the shape and then sewed all the squares together. I backed the quilt with fleece, no batting inside....didn't need it. They loved them.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117427.jpe   attachment-117428.jpe   attachment-117429.jpe