View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by winterpromise31
Why a stash? Hmm... I guess because I've already experienced finding a fabric I like and then having it discontinued. Plus, since hubby offered... I don't mind buying fabric as I go, but sometimes there are great sales and I'm tempted to buy at the sale prices. Last weekend was a holiday sale and I bought a quilting book for 50% off but no fabric because I wasn't sure how much. If I buy it as needed, I'm missing out on the sale prices and I am kind of thrifty by nature.

Sorry for the long response. Just thinking aloud here. Thanks for the suggestions!
I can't go buy a beep-load of fabric, so I usually buy an extra half yard of everything I buy. If I find something that calls my name, I will buy up to 10 yards, depending on price.
Example- I found a dark tonal burgundy for $1 per yard, I know I will use a lot of it, so I bought 10 yards. It has gone into 4 quilts already, and I still have over five yards left. I also hunt at garage sales, rummage sales, etc. (Before you do this, make sure you can 'feel' the cotton content, and do a burn test before using.)