Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 AM
lillybeck

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
I actually had an experience with something like this....but I was the "quilter" that was just starting out. I decided to attend a class making a Dresden Plate Block. The teacher, though a very skilled quilter, made negative comments about every stitch I took. My seams weren't perfect, they weren't straight...etc...and no matter how hard I tried, the more she commented, the more nervous I got. And my stitching got worse. Now, up to that point in time, I was an accomplished seamstress..I made all my own and my children's clothes..you would think making the transition to quilting would have been easy. And...I had made some simple applique baby quilts on my own already. But I wanted to learn to piece. Needless to say, the fabric and the one block from that class still reside in my UFO's. And, maybe most importantly, it was over 20 yrs before I could screw on my courage and attend another class. The only class I ever have attended....and it was on hand-piecing. And that experience has kept me from being around other quilters, too...I have, until this year, avoided guilds, classes, etc...as I felt so inferior. I still have to screw on my courage just to attend a guild meeting......

Now maybe my response to that one class was extreme....but it does go to show that our words are very powerful....and how we interact and what we say to another person can impact their life for a long, long time....

k
Words are the most powerful weapon we have. I was told many times growing up that I could'nt do something. I wanted to sing in church with my family and was told I could not sing. I wanted to learn to play the piano and was told I did not have the talent. I did learn to sew at 14 and often got a complement but not often from the ones that would have counted the most. Well T age 4o + I started singing in church and at 48 took piano lessons and now play in church. Am I great at either? NO but God only wants our best and any teacher of afults or children should watch carefully what they say.