Thread: Live eagle cam
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM
jrhboxers

Actually the nest and park are located in Norfolk, Virginia not Hampton. The television station that sponsors the EagleCam's home base is Hampton.

They are a great pair. I started watching them when we moved to Virginia 7 years ago. I have even been to the park and watched in person. The female had another mate, but he was killed in Hurricane Isabelle. She found this guy right after. Every year they have laid three eggs which I take is rather unusual.

Two years ago they had to rescue one of the babies and take her to a rehab facility. She developed a growth on her beak and was unable to eat. She has been treated and has a normal beak now, however due to the interaction she cannot be released back into the wild. She is used in their educational programs at their facility and also travels.

Channel 13 - WVEC's website (www.wvec.com)keeps the news reports on their website where they take the babies and weigh them and tag them, etc. Very interesting to watch. They also have the information that tracks all of the babies when they leave the nest. A couple of them have settled at the Alligator Swamp in North Carolina.