View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 AM
lallyann

My one suggestion is to make sure you have lots of helpers on hand. My daughters (ages 10 and 13) take sewing classes when offered. While my 13 yo has a bit more patience, my 10 yo gets bored in a hurry if things aren't moving along. Also, if it can go wrong, it will at some point in the class. We've seen it all! LOL! From fingers being stuck, to one child pulling apart the sewing machine over and over just to see how it works! LOL! (the teacher finally taped down the knobs and switches to keep her from messing with them!) Also lots and lots of re-doing seams. I don't know how big of a group you will be teaching, but if they have no experience in sewing, be sure to have a VERY small teacher:student ratio. Some of the older kids or the ones that pick it up faster may be able to help the others. On the positive, the kids are so excited when they have a completed project in their hands!! Its really fun to see their faces light up and they realize they can do it! I hope you can get the classes going :)