View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
thepolyparrot

Industrial machines are much more specialized than domestic sewing machines.

Some have built-in dual feed, (where the foot moves the top layers of fabric while the dogs move the bottom layers), some have only feed dogs and some are made to not feed at all - they only stitch.

I have an antique industrial treadle model 31 - it takes standard high shank attachments like many or even most industrial sewing machines.

I bought the Juki darning foot for it, but all my other high shank feet fit it as well. I bought a darning plate for it on eBay and removed the feed dogs. It free-motions quite well, having the vertical bobbin, but the table it came it needs a new top.

I am going to have someone build me a box to set the machine in and mount a small motor on it. When I get to this, I'll have a MUCH larger quilting area and I'll be able to position it with the nose facing me so that I can use my Flynn frame. (which I haven't even taken out of the box)

I wouldn't want to use an industrial machine that has the big coffee can motor under the table - those motors make the machine much too fast. A small motor for a domestic sewing machine will be just about right for the speed I like to work. At least, I hope so. All these projects hanging around waiting for me to get off the computer and go do them.... ;)

Singer 31-15
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142143[/ATTACH]

Treadle base
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142138.jpe   attachment-142139.jpe