View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
PatQuilts

My 89-year old mom has been in a nursing home the past two years. Dementia and Parkinson's have forced her to quit quilting--something that she has done all her life. At least one afternoon each weekend I visit mom and do some hand quilting. I've found it calms her when she is not having a good day. She seems to love that her daughter continues the tradition.

We sit in a public area in the home and other residents have started to join us. The nurses bring some of the Alzheimer's patients to join us. It all is very informal. Some people are able to talk about sewing, quilting, family,etc. while others just seem to enjoy watching my hands, touching the fabric or hearing about my plans for finishing a project. This has been my little way to add a little cheer to their lives. Actually, they are giving me the most precious gift--some wonderful memories with my mom and a chance to get to know some very special people.

My current project is finishing nine vintage dresden blocks that were given to my mom decades ago.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154627.jpe