View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Bamagal
I haven't done applique in a long time. I learned applique by tracing on freezer paper, cutting it out , folding over edge of paper basting then basting to the block. Pulling the paper out when finished. Since there are so many steps here, I tried fusible applique on a Sun Bonnet Sue Block. Worked great, but I realized I needed to blanket stitch arount the applique. I don't know how to applique on the machine so I had to do it by hand. It was very hard and stiff. Is all fusible applique that way. If it is, it doesn't make for a snuggly quilt. I guess I'll try needle-turn method of applique.
You could try using lightweight iron on interfacing. I put it fabric front, to bumpy side, with qpplique drawn on interfacing. Sew carefully all the way around. Carefully trim edges to 1/8 to 1/4 depending on shape, (Smaller and clipped on curves). Gently pull fabric and interfacing away from each other, then carefully clip interfacing. Clip approx 1" slit to turn right side out. carefully finger press flat. Turn all interfacing to the back side. Place where you want it by ironing interfacing side down.
Hand stitch or machine in place, then separate base fabric (attached to interfacing) from applique layer, Clip again, and then trim center of backing away leaving slightly less than 1/4 inch seams. Ready to quilt now. And NOT uncuddly!
I only use plain fusible for wall hangings, etc. (Cuddly factor not needed)