Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
candi

I was very new to the board, very new to quilting, just finished my first quilt that took me a year, just purchased my first sewing machine and getting hooked on quilting, I posted a photo of a pink quilt top that was my second quilt top, first one I did by myself without class. Of course you don't remember it! I didn't until recently. After I did that quilt, we were moving temporarily to Hawaii and I left my sewing machine and quilting behind for a while, when I got back into it April of last year, I had totally forgot about that top, started this and finished that, and then a couple of months ago came across it, and I decided to finish it! I guess that would be my only UFO!

Upon looking at it, the bad sewing kept jumping at me, not that I am an expert now, but back then, I really struggled with the sewing and keeping a consistent seam, my points weren't matching, and I had some fraying seams, I decided that it was only 9 blocks, a small quilt and it was worth redoing! OK, call me crazy but I did rip the quilt apart to HST (which BTW I did by cutting and sewing triangles back then), squared up the HSTs (something I didn't know about back then) and then resewed it together, trimmed borders and added those and wallah,not perfect by any means, but much more pleasing to my eyes! Being a small top,it didn't take that long, and I was very satisfied with the sense of accomplishment and that I really did improve, I am learning things! It is wonderful! :mrgreen:

I also enjoyed quilting this quilt very much, I am actually beginning to enjoy the quilting part a lot more now. I did many straight lines, a bit of SID, and some curved lines around the pink squares. My taste did change, because I probably wouldn't have picked these fabrics now, but I do love how it turned out, even my binding looks decent on this one, lol.

The pattern is called "Ribbons" from Carol Doak's book "Your First Quilt Book." It measures about 37'' square. It is going to hang in my sewing room so whenever I am struggling with sewing, I can look at it for a confidence boost :mrgreen:

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my story with you all, because you all have been a great part of my quilting adventure and taught me many things. Thanks!

Pink Ribbons
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116524[/ATTACH]

Close up of quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116525[/ATTACH]

The back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116526[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116519.jpe   attachment-116520.jpe   attachment-116521.jpe