View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
PJisChaos

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I have made a few of these as well and all but one I used leftover batting scraps from other projects, making sure each square of batting was similar to others in content and loft. Sew an X across each square to keep it in place. Although on one I did, for my DGS, I quilted a different design on each square that mimic-ed the fabric. Some had stars, some hearts, some were cross-hatched, etc,..
Looked really neat when done. Can't wait to get a few WIPs done so I can make another one that has different quilted motifs in each square like his.
That sounds like a very pretty quilt. Will have to try that when u use the batting and sew the X do u have to sew the batting at the seams also just wondering if it shows when clipped
Yeah it will show if ya don't trim the batting smaller than the squares. Like I use 6" top and backing sq. with a 4" to 5" batting scrap, depending on the seam allowance I'm using(anywhere from a .5" to 1" seam). I also mark in water soluble pen on the top sq. the seam allowance I'm using and quilt only inside it. Looks really neat and interesting instead of just using a big ole X all the time. LoL
*Edited to add*
Also, I have not trimmed accurately before and if it's not too much batting showing I don't worry about it. If it's more than an 1/8 showing past the seam lines I just use a colored Sharpie that somewhat matches the fabrics used and color it to "hide" it. No one notices and it still comes out just fine. ;-)