Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Rainybug

Those binders...get them under control now! They will grow quickly and you will never get them under control. Mine are in clear protectors (acid free) and various binders, ALL LABELED.

Patterns, I have historical patterns, many created from looking at pictures; craft patterns, quilt patterns. Those are my main groupings then each is sub-grouped. I've learned to store them up right not laying flat and where they are out of direct light. Mine are in acid free boxes with lids and each box is labeled. Please realize I have over thirty years of patterns. Don't store them in plastic it can destroy the fibers or paper of your patterns. This would include the practice of storing them in zip lock bags.

Now as to how you divide and sub divide them is personal choice.
Scraps...ooh, ahh, sorry was distracted...Scraps I gave up trimming and measuring them years ago. It just didn't work for me. I keep those scraps that are blocks or pieces of blocks in a bin; pieces of selvage a bin; anything under about 4" a bin; larger depending on size get folded into there parent fabric. If there is no longer a parent fabric they are sorted by colour in a bin. I have one of those plastic drawer units (like you get at Wally world) next to my main sewing table and each drawer is a "bin". I use pieces of scrap as leaders and enders as I sew. Over time this can create a second project.

What I can tell you is that YOU will find what works best for your taste, style, needs but most of all for you.