Thread: sewing tables
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

One thing I forgot to mention about my cabinet is how the machine is placed relative to the chair. I think this applies to most cabinets too.

What I noticed is that the machine hole is placed so the machine is centered in the chair opening. If you think about it, what really makes sense is to have the *needle* of the machine centered in the chair opening. When we sew, both hands are positioned around the needle. I think that I tire faster at the machine because of the little adjustments I have to make to position myself to the left of where I am sitting. My body has to twist a little to the left, my left and right arms have to compensate for the off-center needle, etc.

If I were to get another cabinet, I would want the kind where the drawers open out on either side, leaving a wide space available for the chair. That way I could position the chair so that I am centered on the needle. I love the drawers along one side of my smallish cabinet, but they make the chair opening narrow enough so that I have to sit centered on the machine rather than the needle.

Mary