Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
mpeters1200

My challenging project (turning into a UFO) I call the QFH...Quilt From Hades.

It was my first foray last year into Mystery Quilts. I still like the theory behind the mystery. You don't know what beautiful creation you are going to make until the last clue. I'm a fan of Mystery Novels and Agatha Christie or Arthur Doyle computer games and such. In fact, even though I hate this quilt with every fiber of my being, I would still consider doing another mystery.

This particular one has 4 different units making up the quilt top. One of the units has 4 times the number of all the other ones. They are flying geese units made THE HARD WAY. One clue had us cut 160 triangles. 80 were HST and the other 80 were QST. Then the next one had us sewing them together. Then the one after that had us cut another 80 HST. And then the assemble was in a different clue. Maybe if I wasn't such a beginner, I would have known that they were Geese, but I had no idea. Each and every one of those blasted things stretched and warped. I've never put anything together on point before.

Whenever I want to torture myself, or when hubby bugs me, I'll pull it out of the Godfather's boxes and stitch another row or two together. Konstantin put this great thing about adding coping strips in a newsletter not to long ago. I'll be adding this throughout and I don't think the quilt will look the same, but I'm sure it will still be pretty. The flying geese make a star around one type of piece, then they also create the appearance of a backwards star too. Overall, the quilt is very pretty...but I don't like the way the pattern or directions were at all. It's WAY too advanced for me.

I hate my QFH...I just wish I knew how to complete it so it would stare at me everytime I enter my sewing closet to get my stuff out.