Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
cjr

As you grow in your quilting you needs and space will also grow. Allow room for that growth. Patterns:purchased ones in a box, internet downloads in sheet protectors in notebooks with traditional section dividers. I buy 3" ring binders. Shelves for books & binders.
LOt of storage. Every one has their own system. My fabric is in closet folded or rolled, sorted by catagories. I use strips of paper sticking our of a stack labeled birds, butterflies, cats, dogs, flowers (actually have separate shelf for florals)southwest etc. Blenders in separate area. Fleece in its own area, other fancy fabric in separate ares, backings have their own space.
Then the small stuff, I use plastic drawers in different sizes, each drawer holds 5" strips, 4"strips, 3"strips, 2" stips etc all stacked on top of each other. I also use shoe boxes to hold squares of different sizes. I make it a habit to use these in my projects. When I finish a project Smaller scraps are cut down to fit into above categories. Larger pieces folded and put on shelf in correct category.
I do have a couple of large plastic bins, One has blue jeans in for future projects, one has Christmas fabric.
Do be aware that what ever system you set up it will end up changing many times as you grow.