Thread: Discouraged
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
greenini

My first quilt was a 2 1/2" strip log cabin made out of Eleanore Burns Quilt in a Day series. I used the book and now it is so worn it's practically falling apart because I kept it open on my sewing table all the time. What I loved about her is not only is she funny on line, but she is very simple: do this, now you are done with that fabric-get it outta here (on line she throws her scraps over her shoulder, funny, but all I can think about is the poor guy who has to pick the scraps up!). She even tells you how to tie it, and instead of binding she gives you a way to sew the top, backing and binding together and turn it inside out , which is what I did for my first quilt. And I loved it. Please don't give up before you start. Every quilt doesn't have to be big. If a log cabin doesn't interest you do the 4 or 9 patch in a doll quilt size. I bet once you jump in and do one, you'll be hooked. The other thing you might try is taking a beginners quilting course. They are given at a lot of LQS and even Joann's fabric has them sometimes or check adult education, jr colleges, quilt shows near where you live.