View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 PM
henryparrish76

I took home ec and teen living( fancy name for sewing class) in high school because none of the other electives interested me. My grandmother and grandfather quilted and I had grown up seeing the things they quilted and I own one of the quilts, which was made for me by my grandfather before he died in 1988. I think the quilt was made in 1987 before he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I cherished that quilt and it went with me everywhere I went after i got it and he had passed away. fast forward to Aug/sept of 2007. I was showing my grandma the quilt, showing her some places that were coming loose. This prompted a quilting/sewing discussion because I had made a few dresses and such for friends over the years. My grandmother asked me if I wanted to learn how to quilt. I knew that no one else in my family had an interest in learning how and my grandma has said how she always thought she would pass her knowledge on to my aunt or to one of her granddaughters, but they hadn't shown interest. So I told my grandmother that yes I would be happy to learn from her how to quilt. So she taught me what she could seeing as how she can't sew anymore due to arthritis and bad eye sight. What I didn't learn from her , I got books and I joined this website and have learned many things. I made my grandma a quilt and gave it to her this Christmas and I have heard from my aunt that my grandma wraps herself in it everyday while she sits in the living room. :) Grandma will be 89 this July.