Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Dooneygone

I am making my first tee-shirt quilt for my grandaughter's graduation. I am finding conflicting info, so I am going to ask this group what to do.

I am using fusible interfacing called "Stacey" which I bought from the local quilt shop. I have washed and dried it as advised. Here are my questions:

#1.....Do I make the facing the same size as my 14" blocks or do I make them 1" smaller as I also was told to do. If I make them 1" smaller (for 1/2" seam) how can I be sure they stay in place when done with the quilt? Should I be catching the edges in a seam line to secure them first? I will be using sashing.

#2......I was told not to steam press the fusible interfacing, but to use a piece of muslim as a pressing cloth on the interfacing to make it adhere...Do I wet the muslim first and which side do I press...the interfacing side or the tee-shirt side to get the fusible to "stick"?

I thank you in advance and will use the advice I get here to avoid any more confusion. I have read a lot and learned a lot about this type of quilt, but I have these points that are confusing me. Pauline