Thread: Discouraged
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 AM
TootieAnn

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Oh, please don't be discouraged.
I don't even do a lot of the patterns because for me they are just too much for me to figure out at this point. I'm still a newbie as far as a lot of patterns go.

Just pick a size of square you want to use and if nothing else - just sew them together. Make a scrappy quilt in all squares with no real pattern design to it.

That's all this one was.
Please don't be discouraged. I think almost all of us have felt like we just couldn't get it right no matter how hard we tried. But we kept trying and one day we surprised ourselves. Our seams did match perfectly (or almost anyway). Nobody is going to judge you as harshly as you judge yourself. Just remember, accuracy in cutting and stitching are your best friends in quilting. It helps me to use a square the same size of my intended fabric squares (usually 3 1/2 inches) to make sure all of my squares actually are 3 1/2 inches. You can cut a square from an empty cereal box to use to measure your fabric squares to make sure they really are the size you intended. This works well for measuring completed blocks as well. I have a 3 1/2 inch ruler that I use to measure squares, but a cereal box would work. I've added rulers over time, as I could afford them. I bought the 3 1/2 inch ruler on the recommendation of a LQS owner who is also a friend. It has saved me much frustration over the past year and has probably saved several quilts from my UFO box. Please don't give up. Remember, you have friends here willing to listen and help. Happy quilting!