Thread: Discouraged
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
gramalama9

Don't bog yourself down with details! Don't start with anything that has a name! LOL. I can't tell you how many beautiful quilts I've seen with the quilter just using left over pieces .... buy a pack of charm squares, or cut simple squares from whatever fabric you have...set them in rows using light/dark alternating colors. No matter what you put together, it will look great. Make a doll quilt first, and experiment with adding borders. Three inch squares make a great doll quilt, and the doll doesn't care what colors you use.
Keep it simple and you will graduate to more intricate stuff later. Good luck. Don't buy a quilt...take a good look at the messy, large stitching, cheap fabrics, non colorfast materials. Save that money to buy a good beginner book that will explain terms, techniques, etc. in basic language and with good pictures. Some "beginner" books assume you know the lingo! The first one I bought 11 years ago is "Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts" published by Leisure Arts. I wore it out and had it spiral bound about 2 years ago. I still refer to it more than any other book.
Didn't mean to ramble on so...sorry. And again good luck.