View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Mousie
Power Poster

I was a serious packrat by the time I got married. I'd say at least half of the boxes i brought to our new home were fabric or sewing related items. I was 19 then. I had 3 children and sewed a lot...outfits, toys, curtains, a few quilts on machine with no idea what I was doing....started having health problems in mid 30's that slowed me down and eventually became unable to work. During that time I would look at my sewing stuff and fabrics and think about giving it all away, but just couldn't bc of the memories. I finally got some better doctors and although I have never been able to go back to work, after my grandma got me interested in quilting I was overly optimistic and thought I would try to work at home and sell stuff. I jumped from one idea to the next, "stashing all the way" for my "business". My health finally made me realize that I could never sew fast enough to make any profit. I like to buy fabric too much. Those of you who feel you have a 'puny' stash? BE GRATEFUL. it will grow in time, I promise. be glad you don't have the DISEASE of "CAN'T HELP ITS". i felt guilty about the amount of fabric I had amassed but then became very, very sick. When I finally started getting to a better place with all that, I had a new perspective. Accept that I love to quilt and make for others, so expecting that I wouldn't buy any more fabrics was not realistic. I just had to slow down and keep sewing. We are on a fixed income now and i save cash (we both have an allowance), so if i want to spend a little or all that I have in the envelope, it is up to me, with no guilt. I am actually quite reasonable with it, bc i have to be. With no guilt I actually get more done. I have to say I did a lot of soul searching while sick so did not just do this by myself. It was a spiritual journey. Don't wish to be a fabricaholic, to me it was a never ending cycle of...
BUY-GET HIGH
HOME I GO-NOW FEEL LOW
SO, no 'fix' ever lasted...no purchase was the last, and although I had always been extremely moral and honest, I felt quite sneaky! A friend finally told me that I needed to go talk to someone and 'fess up'. I did, both spiritually and professionally. Even now, I know I will have to be careful the rest of my days bc I can still get dizzy in a fabric store and turn into the 'fabricwolf' or fabricstein. My plastic is paid off, I am guilt free and loving it! want to stay that way. :wink: