Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
JanetM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Art is art. This quilt is beautiful, in its design and in its message. Nobody is asking anyone else to "like" it. Homelessness isn't really something to "like".

Originally Posted by MCH
Perhaps instead of spending all that time planning, creating, and getting the quilted qualified for the "show", the artist (?) should have spent the time actually DOING something practical for homeless / abused women.

Now, that would have made a statement relative to the issue.

Instead, the artist prefers an "in your face" message.

I agree completely with BellaBoo and merry.
The artist DID do something - she got US all talking about homelessness, didn't she? How many people were reminded of the reality of homelessness by her message? ALL OF US, for sure. For a group that gives so much to charity we sure are judgmental about how others choose to contribute.

Not everyone is into fussy cutting kittens or sewing 5000 tiny pieces of cotton together into a grid that makes your hands hurt to look at it (which is what I'm doing right now). Some people quilt with a different message in mind, which we should still honor for its artistic contribution and the craftsmanship displayed.
I don't think this artist did get her message across. We are talking about the explicit detail depicted on her quilt, not homelessness issues.