Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
JulieR

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Yes, I am aware of the figurative aspect of this quilt. However, I see it for what it is... not reading into it. I don't go to quilt shows to get the "metaphorical" meanings, but to appreciate the colors, the patterns, and the craftmanship that goes into the quilts.

Having grown up with an artist for a mother, I have been through hundreds of museums and can appreciate metaphorical art. This is not "art" that I can appreciate. No different, to me, than the metaphorical painting in the Smithsonian that showed Jesus in a jar of urine. I didn't care what the artist was TRYING to get across; all I saw was a disgusting painting.
I'm sad you can't see the beauty in something non-traditional. But I'm not losing sleep over that.

However to my earlier point, I personally don't understand how anyone can forget the rich history and stories told by the traditional quilts we see here today. It's like we chop things up and sew them back together just because they're "soooo prreeetttyyy!" There are stories here every single day about making quilts for loved ones who are far away or sick or grieving. We make quilts for children without families, and for cancer patients. We make them for animals in shelter and NICU babies. They MEAN something.

If they don't mean anything then why don't we just buy the stupid things and have done with it? It would certainly save us a ton of time and money, not to mention heartbreak when a recipient throws it in the dog's crate.

ETA: I wasn't interested in the Jesus urine jar either, but I wouldn't belittle the artist's work or intent. *shrug*