Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
JulieR

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I have a RIGHT to not like this quilt. I am not casting stones at the quilter; I am saying I DON'T LIKE IT. I DON'T LIKE my children seeing something like this. I am a very modest person and I screen what my kids watch, send them to a private Christian school (so they are not exposed to this kind of "art" and the like in a public school), and I plan on keeping their innocence as long as I can.

So, instead of respecting my opinion, I feel like I am being attacked for not liking this quilt and not wanting to expose my children to this. Being upset with my opinion of this quilt is pretty hypocritical.
As I said before I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to like it. I don't care that you don't. But I do take exception with the idea that this isn't art at all and shouldn't be described as such, JUST BECAUSE you don't like it.

And if you recall I did say I thought a warning of sorts was probably a good idea, so that children can learn at the right time and in the right way about the social ills of our society, and that it is right to have compassion for those less fortunate instead of spitting on or condemning them for the situation they are in. I'm pretty sure your kids are learning that at their private christian school, so they should be getting the lesson with or without the art quilt in question. Right?