Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by JaKnits
Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.
I found her videos to be very helpful! I followed the one on winding a shuttle bobbin since there was nobody around to show me how. I was extremely happy when she gave the tip at the end on if the winder tends to wind on one side then bypass this by just using you hand as the winder guide. My machine kept winding more to one side, no matter what I tried to do to make adjustments. So, I now wind my shuttle bobbins with the hand method that she presented, and the result is an even and tightly wound bobbin, which helps in even stitching.