Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all,
Well in addition to my fabulous 319 from the estate sale last weekend, I got my FW in the mail yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but is not sewing, yet:) I need to oil it and make sure the bobbin case finger is in the right place, as well as clean it. It seems there is a lot of gunky ,orangish buildup in the bobbin case area, and essentially all over.I believe it's old oil. What should I use to clean the gunky stuff off. I don't really want to do the entire dismantle , if I don't have to.. What gets this old oil/greasy mess off without damaging the machine or finish?
Thanks much,
Jane
Jane, you can use oil to loosen the hardened oil - just make sure you don't drop the hardened stuff in the machine! You can also use WD 40, but make sure you get it all off when you are done! The outside of the machine can be cleaned with gentle soap and water, Goop Non-pumice, GoJo Non-pumice or I use Blue Magic TR 3 which cleans and waxes the machines. You can even use sewing machine oil to clean all the machine! We also, clean and polish with Scotts Liquid Gold. Be sure to oil all the oil holes and joints!

Nancy
You can clean the area with Kerosene and drop a few drops in all of the oil holes and it will loosen and break it up for you then you can hit it with sewing machine oil.

Billy