View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Bobbielinks

My mother had sent a few of her quilt tops out to be quilted and I loved watching the gentleman whom quilted them. When I retired several years ago I wanted to finish the quilt tops that I had pieced and husband mentioned that I needed to get a machine like the "gentleman" had. I purchased a new Gammill, quilted two of my tops. Then the stock market hit bottom and took my retirement with it. To make up the difference I started taking in customer quilts. There is no way that I can depend only on quilting for an income, but with the quilting, a small retirement income and social security I can live comfortably and have enough income to support my passion and addiction of quilting. I would not be comfortable renting my machine as it is set up for me; the height is as low as it will go and I have the tension set to handle the speed that it is driven by me. It is not stitch regulated so most people would need a lot of practice time on it to be able to quilt their tops and I need that time to quilt. Just my 2 cents worth.