View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
leaha

20 some years ago I decided I was going to make a quilt. Now the first thing you should know about me is that I do not know what half way is, no way no how! And I tend to just jump in and go for it. does it matter if I know what I am doing, well ya live and learn right? And just how hard can it be? it is just squares set in rows around the center, So off I go to the fabric store to get my fabric, ah oh I love the feel of tha lovely wine colored velvet! Ok got that, what next? ah that lovely off white satin, ok got that, and oh need some flower print cotton, great found an off white with little bitty wine colored flowers, and a rose print with off white little flowers! great, ok got the cotton.
Now for the pattern, I had decided on a puff quilt, 4 inch squares, in a trip around the world pattern. Great go to work right away, cut up a white sheet and made tons of squares, well maybe just 600, but seamed like more. Then I sewed three and a half sides of each set of square, the satin, velvet and cotton with the sheet on the back side of each, turned each one inside out, and stuffed them with polly fill. Yes I said STUFFED!!!!! them, sewed them closed,Such cute little pillows! Well they were so stuffed there was no way I could join them on the machine, so I hand sewed them all together! Well the top side looked OK but the back??? well off to the fabric store to get more of that cute cotton with the little wine colored flowers, sewed a piece together to cover the back side,how to join it? ah wine colored crochett cotton I tied at each cornor with the ties on the back side. then had to sew all around the edge by hand, remember I stuffed the little puff pillows. sO turned in the edges and sewed alway! Finally done!!! Hubby and I got the wheelbarrel and halued the quilt (I use the word quilt here VERy loosly) into it and wheeled it down the haLL to the bedroom to put it on the bed. ( I think i used 6 bags of polly fill)
Now if we had been living in Alaska at the time this thing might have been great, but I made my first quilt when we lived in souther California! I made cotton cutrains and round table cloths to go on the night stands, crocheted little dollies and trim for the curtains, I worked on the set for several weeks, and never did sleep under that, puff thing, LOL much too heavy, why you could not even turn over under that thing. Oh yes I think I have really come a long way sence that first attempt at making a quilt, I got some patterns, and took some classes, and found out how much I did not know, and I am still learning today, what a adventure quilting has taken me on!