Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
gwanma

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I've been quilting since 1973 and I have a ton of patterns ranging from super easy to challenging. I've made 2 quilts with this pattern one of which was flannel. I was amazed at how different each one looked.

What I like about this pattern is there is minimal cutting, no templates, it uses a handful of fat quarters, and the top can be made in a weekend. It's an excellent pattern for a beginner with minimal investment in fabric or time.

I can't say this pattern makes an awe-inspiring quilt because it doesn't. But it does make a fantastic utility quilt. It's definitely a pattern that you either like (note I didn't say love) or you don't.

It's like the pattern Strip Search. That is a super simple pattern where you could make the same statement. I have seen several of these quilts in various colorways and each one looks better than the one before it.
photo: http://www.gequiltdesigns.com/images...rip_Search.jpg

I have found in my many years of quilt making, that some patterns will speak to you and you will want to make them while others will not.
Thank you all for an education. But I really think you've explained it best. I really like this pattern that you've posted called strip search, and can see how the fabric would really make the difference. It also made me realize what I don't really care about the YBR...it is kind of random where this pattern is repetitive. I guess i just gravitate toward a more structured pattern. And I can definitely see by all the Board's comments that it can be beneficial for beginners to have a pattern so the quilting process doesn't become overwhelming and discouraging. Thank you all for your input.