View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
GailG

Crazyquilter, you and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers. What a wonderful story.

I've told my story somewhere else on this board, but have no idea where. Although I think it may have been on a PM.

I was always interested in sewing. As a child (probably age 6 or so) I learned to embroider. I don't remember of ever FINISHING any projects though. I can remember working on a pillowcase and a table scarf.

My mother always sewed making all of our clothes. I can even remember her changing our overcoats when we grew out of our sleeves. :wink: She would add cuffs and a new collar. That always impressed me that something like that could be done. Then when I was 12 I asked for a sundress. She sent me to the store (our family owned a general merchandise store) for a pattern and fabric. My aunt gathered all of the supplies I would need and sent me on my way. Mama taught me to set in a zipper and how to follow the pattern guide, etc. That summer I made 2 sundresses. And I was hooked. We had an old electric Blue Grass sewing machine. When I was about14 or 15, I was working on a dress for the homecoming dance. The old Blue Grass konked out and I was in the middle of things. She called the local sewing machine shop and asked the owner to send her a new machine ASAP. :lol: THOSE WERE THE DAYS!! He brought over a 301 Singer and that thing is still working today. She's 91 and still uses it for repairs and hems. :wink:

I loved Home Ec and nothing was too great a challenge when it came to garment construction. I even tried my hand at tailoring and pattern drafting. In college I majored and received a degree in Home Economics Education. (Taught Home Ec only4 months) Fast forward 30 years, by then I was a first grade teacher almost ready to retire. Several of my co-workers were quilters. In 1995 they invited us to join their group to make friendship squares. We all made enough blocks to share. I had no idea what to do. All I knew was that the block was to be 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches. One of the ladies suggested that I make a 9-patch. So she helped me with a pattern :shock: . I went to the fabric store and chose fabrics. I had no idea about anything -- I just selected lots of fabrics. Can you believe it?? :oops: Well, by the end of the school year, my quilt was made -- sashing, backing, binding, and all. In '98 I retired and began cutting my school t-shirts to make a quilt. Again, I had no idea what I was doing. Well, I finished piecing the top on Friday and had a stroke on Monday. Bam! Right side. So one of my goals for rehab was to get that quilt hand quilted. A month later I was holding the needle and doing one stitch at a time. Some of the quilt had to be tied because I wanted to finish it and it was slow-going. Alex Anderson was always in my living room -- on HGTV, and there were a few others.

When my daughter and I went to Martha Pullen's sewing markets and sewing schools, I went to as many quilting-related classes as were offered.

I've made many baby quilts and quilts for the grandkids (both pieced and whole cloth). I finally took a couple of classes (One at Hancock's -- the St. Jude sampler; and one at a LQS in a nearby town -- the URR) Fast-forward May, 2008. I found this quilting board. Tah-rah. I'm computer-challenged, but I surely enjoy what I can do on here. I am learning sooooo much. And the friendships are unbelievable.

I, too, am a chatty-cathy. I have insomnia so I sleep very little. I watch the Hallmark movie every night and then get on here until I get sleepy. I haven't proof-read this gazzette, so I apologize for an mistakes.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am a fabricoholic. I hoard fabrics. They're in every corner of my bedroom and my sewing room. I need help, but I don't want it. :lol: :lol: :lol: