Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by DeneK
One of my first quilts was supposed to be for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. I found the cutest cat pattern. Bought the fabric -- cut it all out -- started putting it together. Well it was before I learned how careful you must be when cutting and I didn't have a clue about 1/4" seams. I think the sloppily cut fabric is still languishing in a dark corner somewhere. Never did do a quilt for my friend. As a matter of fact, didn't do any more quilting for a number of years.
To give your sewing soul a boost - fish it out of that dark and dreary corner...cut it up into strips, add more strips of different colors, and sew them all into pieces bigger than a dinner plate. Iron them, and using the dinner plate as a pattern cut circles! Stitch two together, right sides facing in, turn, and topstitch around the edge and you have made kids placemats ...or....
topstitch a cluster of them on a blue cloud background, sew black thread strings, and you have made a balloon party wall hanging or tabletopper. Come to think of it, balloons do come in kitty shapes don't they?