View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 AM
piepatch

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
I recently found 90 plus finished blocks in a covered plastic bin and the fabric to complete the remaining 40 blocks too. I was just thrilled when I found this treasure because the hand drawn plans were also in the bin. Now the challenge is, how do I get that old musty, mildew odor out of the fabric so I can work on them? The blocks are muslin and reproduction prints that are all light pastels. There are no signs of mildew, just that "old nasty" smell.

These blocks have very special meaning to me and my family so I would like to treat them with honor and respect but, whoo-hoo, they smell too musty to work with. Does any one have any suggestions? I sure would appreciate your help. I thank you in advance.
I once had to deal with a similar problem, and I spread them out on my patio table and left them for a few days and the smell was gone. The weather was warm and it is a covered patio, so the blocks were not in the sun, and I brought them in every night, and put them out each day. If I were you, I would not wash those blocks, but once the quilt is finished, if you think it needs laundering, then give it a gentle wash.