View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by nlclubb
I have hundreds of four inch HST blocks and I want to make a sampler quilt like MTS(thanks) is showing in the 2009 and 2010 Math Club Quilt.
If you've got them already made, just start playing with them in groups of 16. Why do you need patterns?

If they are scrappy HST's, then it's going to be all about VALUE. As long as you have contrast in the value on each side of a HST, patterns will just emerge. Go through your HST's and sort them in to 3 piles - light/light, dark/dark, and light/dark. This way you can really just pick from the bag as you need them.

The light/light or dark/dark ones can be used for sashing or borders - like I did in the 2010 Math quilt.

What you can do is make 16 B&W HST, fabric or just draw them on paper, to come up with the patterns (the kids did it with paper first). Every time you create a design you like, take a picture. Then you can sit and sew them with the fabric HST's from your pile.

The kids didn't have any patterns/books to choose from, they just got a baggie of 16 HST's.

There is no wrong or right design. It's just what is pleasing to your eye. In those 2 Math Club quilts, the kids have already come up with 17-18 unique layouts. Use them.
How big do you want your quilt? 16 blocks, with sashing and borders - that's a pretty nice size.

Please post a pic when you're done.