View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 AM
TX Gramcracker

8-) As my 2nd oldest sister asked when I retired in 2001 "what are you going to do now? you don't quilt or anything". Actually I did and do "anything" - I've just never gotten into quilting though I've always admired and loved quilts. Just not all the work that goes into them. It was a necessity in the family for generations. Two out of four of us sisters are quilters and do beautiful work. I have a quilt from my great-grandmother, my grandmother and two my mother made. And a couple from these quilting sisters. When I say I don't piece and quilt the tops that's not to say I never have. I did finish up an applique quilt from my stepgrandmother and quilted it probably 40 yrs ago-fact think I still have it, worn out and used to cover flowers in the winter. A few years ago I got the bug and cut lot of pieces (thought I owed it to my sons & grandchildren to make each one), sewed lot of pieces together and put them away labeled in zip lock bags when I got really swamped with another project. Pulled them out the other day and discovered that one set of squares I'd cut with the seam allowance and the other set w/o. Had enough cut for various other quilt patterns so decided to do one I've always loved - but not named from a magazine -only all the dimensions are different and will need to cut triangles to fill the 9 patch out to a 16" block. My brain went into overload trying to figure that out. My quilting friend had a great laugh when I told her what I'd done. My most experienced oldest sister (88) was encouraging about it and didn't laugh.

So here I am, at least I'm enjoying all the posted comments from others and hopefully I'll learn something but I'm not rushing full speed ahead now. I still have those other interests.