View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
countryone77

Originally Posted by Linda71
How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.
For rectangular quilts, the length is usually greater than the width. Say that I have a quilt, whose finished center is 40" x 60" and I want the finished border size to be 5" wide. (I am using finished sizes below. Add ½" to all sizes to add the seam allowances.)

Add Side Borders First
==============
The length of my side border strips will be the center's length, 60" long.

If I add the side borders first, then I am added 5" to both sides of the finished quilt's width, so I now have

width = 40 + (2 x 5) = 50

So my top and bottom borders will be 50" long.

Add Top & Bottom Borders First
====================
The length of my top and bottom border strips will be the center's width, 40" long.

If I add the top and bottom borders first, then I am added 5" to each, which adds 10" to the finished quilt's length, so I now have

length = 60 + (2 x 5) = 70

So my side borders will be 70" long.

Finished Quilt
=========
In both cases the finished quilt will be 50" x 70", because we added 5" to all sides. If you sew on the side borders first, then the length of your borders will be

side border length: 60"
top/bottom border length: 50"
Total length of fabric = 2x60 + 2x50 = 220"

If you sew on the top & bottom borders first, then the length of your borders will be

sides border length: 70"
top/bottom border length: 40"
Total length of fabric = 2x70 + 2x40 = 220"

I am using the same total amount of fabric, but when I sew on the top & side borders first, then I must deal with a longer length for the side borders. So, if you are not piecing long borders, then it is a little more economical to sew on the side borders first, because you can purchase a shorter length of fabric. If you make small quilts and cut the borders across the WOF (Width of Fabric), then this is not an issue.

Another option would be to use cornerstones in your border.