View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Janquiltz

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
This is a fabulous tutorial. I'm going to give this a try. Word of warning. Be sure you don't get confused what is the water soluable thread and which isn't. Could be bad on the first washing of your next quilt. Thank you so much for the time and thought you put into this tutorial.
Great tutorial. Lots easier using water solutable thread than the way I did it. I did the entire technique by hand quilting - only I attached the trapunto batting by basting outside the design lines - then trimmed down the extra batting, sandwiched my little quilt and hand quilted the design. Removed the basting before I did the background quilting, and finished the quilt as usual.

LOL - so true about forgetting you are using water soluable thread - Sharon Shamber explained how she had mistakenly used water soluable on a large portion of one of her show quilts and didn't discover it until she finished the quilt and washed it. Forget which one of her glorious quilts she did that on, and, of course, she had/has the skill to fix the problem so that no one would ever know - but just goes to show you that even the "pros" can make a mistake.

BTW - back about 5-6 +/- years ago, I saw this same technique given in a quilting magazine. They did a neckline treatment (simple flowers and leaves ?) on a plain white cotton knit ladies scoop-neck tee shirt. Sure was pretty - Hmmm - might have to get brave and go in to my ""catch hell" room and go through my 3-ring notebooks as I probably kept the directions in with other patterns of my "someday" quilts and techniques I want to try. I don't say that I am a pack rat - but I do have a tendancy to "save" things that I may want/need to use one day.