View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 AM
barnbum

Originally Posted by running1
Karla.. you are definitely an inspiration in so many ways! I'm working right now on a not-so-much-fun goal of cleaning out the basement... I'm making slow progress, and somehow it helps to know I'm not alone... smile...

I have a question, though.. Your fabrics are so beautiful... and I want to do a log cabin like your floral log cabins... When I start collecting fabric, how much should I purchase of each one? I know the first quilt I saw, I THINK I remember you telling there were MANY different fabrics in it... but I don't remember quantities?

Do you have any suggestions for collecting fabrics for a queen size floral log cabin? And you have my promise to ALWAYS tell about your fabulous quilts... I've shared your work with many friends already... Everyone is amazed!
Thank you for taking time to respond!!
Oh my goodness, I got goose bumps when I read this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-D :-D

In the first floral log cabin, there were over 60 different fabrics. Now I have well over 80- different florals alone--some haven't been cut into strips because they were purchased in my "no cutting fabric until these are finished" stage. :lol: I just ordered more from four different ebay sellers--and with shipping they are $5.75 a yard. I'm pleased. I'm very picky about what florals I use--so I panic when I'm running out of a favorite and it's old--but I found some on ebay. It's silly to panic when there are so many gorgeous florals out there. For the lights, I have about 12 different fabrics, but I could get away with 6-8 different ones. I repeat those sometimes. There is a favorite light green I can't find anywhere...I keep looking.

I have no idea how much fabric to tell you get collect for a queen sized. But, the beauty of scrap quilts is that you can always get more and it doesn't have to match!! I buy a minimum of a yard because now I know what works for me, but if I really really love it and know I'll panic if I can't find more, I buy three. When strips are 1.5" even a yard goes a long way.