View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Lobster

Originally Posted by quilticing
Originally Posted by Lobster
I haven't read the whole thread, but am I the only person using 1 1/2" strips for single-fold binding? I was taught to cut single-fold at four times the finished width of the binding plus 1/4" for the folds. I use thin batting, which I suppose would make a slight difference, usually 1/16" loft (poly or cotton).
I've read most of the replies and would encourage you to double your binding. When the edge starts to wear, you'll have the life of the quilt almost doubled for just an extra 1/2" or so of fabric per strip.
Right now I'm hand-sewing everything, I have limited hand strength, and to be honest I don't know if I'd manage to sew through an extra layer to make double-fold binding. I've been making sure that I'm using sturdy fabrics for the bindings, though. There's also the issue of cost (I am very broke and fabrics cost around £10/m in the UK), especially since I'd often have to order in more fabric if I were to double the binding. I've seen a lot of people simply use the backing fabric as binding, and that's not doubled over and may not even be good quality fabric, so I assumed that single-fold should be sufficient.

How long does it usually take bindings to wear out?