Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn

It is unfortunate that the cabinet has several layers of paint. This does make it a little more difficult to strip. I find that a paste or thick stripper works better than the watery kind. Paint a thick layer on the finish a section at a time then cover with plastic to keep the stripper from evaporating and leave on for about 40 min. This will keep the stripper moist and to reach deeply into the paint. Most sewing cabinets are not painted and the old shellac stripps easy. If you find paint in the grain of the wood after stripping take a small brass brush, apply stripper and use the brush with the grain of the wood to remove the paint in the grain. This will take time. I just hate it when someone paints over a nice woold finish. Hope this helps but paint is always hard to get out of oak. I am here to help. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I will try the plastic. I am brushing on a thick stripper. It took 4 coats to just get down to where I could even see wood! I will try a tooth brush first. Luckily, this cabinet is not one of the really big ones!

Nancy