Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
juneayerza

I am an instructor at our community college. Just before Christmas, one of my student’s ten- year-old daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. This child and her family have a very long road ahead of them to try to save this child’s life. She spends a great deal of time in the hospital since she has severe reactions to the chemo.

I want to use the paper doll and paper doll clothes fabric to make her something she can play with during the times she has to spend in bed at the hospital.

I have seen a couple of posts with this fabric, but I need some ideas on how to make this easy to play with in bed. I thought even a smaller quilt would be too big and that making some individual “doll squares” might work better. I do not have children and have never made anything for a child before, so I need ideas from this wonderful board.

One question I need answered is about the doll clothes. I know you back them with flannel so they will “stick” to the doll, but how do you finish the edges so they do not fray? I thought about using fray check, however, I want them to not only be stable but to look good too.

Any suggestion would be most welcome.